Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 21:52:02 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> So could someone summarize what are those "org-mode reflexes" that need
> switching, as well as any other impact (including hypothetical future
> benefits which will only materialize after we make further changes to
> those files to take advantage of some Org features)?

What does "org-mode reflexes" mean here?

For me, the main motivation is better navigation.

As for future improvements, I'm not sure.  I'm not necessarily even
suggesting any.  But here's one idea: We have seen people make
mistakes with "+++" and "---" in NEWS before.  So how about using
org-mode tags, such that this:

+++
** New command 'undo-redo'.

Instead is written like:

** New command 'undo-redo'.                                      :documented:

That would be a whole lot clearer and easier on the eyes.  It's only
one line of text to set file specific tags, and once that's done it's
one command (C-c C-q) to use them.  Or indeed, one can just type
":documented:" manually after the headline if one doesn't want to use
the command or don't know it.

(One nice thing here is that when it's time for review, one could then
filter the file to look only for headlines tagged ":undocumented:" (or
whatever we would use) using org-sparse-tree.)

But I understand the point that there are just a small number of such
improvements that could be made.  In fact, I think we should be
careful not to make these files too "heavy" to use (as is Alan's
concern).

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas