Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 13:20:06 +0100

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 1:11 PM 조성빈 <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2020. 5. 2. 오후 9:03, João Távora <address@hidden> 작성:

> >> Maybe, but that entails changing the language, by definition.  And you
> >> will face resistance because languages are things people kinda grow
> >> accustomed to.  Imagine if I told you the French language should now
> >> also include all the words of Portuguese, because, you know, they're
> >> just better. Even worse with macros. It's like I told you not only you
> >> have to learn Portuguese words, but its grammar, too.
> >

> > Well I propose to add new-style APIs. People can still use the old ones.
>
> But they would have to learn to read programs in the new stuff, no?
>

> Well learning the new stuff will be much easier & predictive if done well
> (and that’s the point).

OK, but don't you think it's a little presumptuous to assume that?
To assume that people will find (your) new language easier make
space for it in their minds?  Languages, especially the general
purpose parts of language, are very personal and cultural. Can't
you see how this has certain echoes of proclaiming a certain
new-age culture superior to an older one? Certainly, this is
just software and not exactly world domination, but still...

João