Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: 조성빈
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 03:37:31 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> 작성:

From: 조성빈 <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 03:10:50 +0900
Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
 address@hidden,
 address@hidden

Then "C-u C-h a WORDS..." is your friend.

Nope, way too slow.

Is that the only problem? then let's speed it up, and Bob's our uncle.

My understanding is that slow here means that opening a new *Apropos*
buffer is an small, but additional mental burden when writing code, and
it slows down writing code.

How is that different from having *Completions* pop up instead?

Which… is why a lot of people don’t use *Completion* and use company-mode
(or some other methods).

And how is looking up the function you need a "burden", when any
modern IDE provides some way of showing the possible candidates for
what you want to do next?

Modern IDEs provide the candidates without needing to do any action.
It’s very different from having to explicitly look up.
(And that’s where the burden comes.)

I say it isn't a burden, it's an integral
part of writing code nowadays.

Of course not!  I'm saying that "regular naming" will increase the
length of the candidate list.

The regular naming scheme will mean that we can only search functions that
start with regexp - since the searcher doesn’t need grep-regexp-alist or
gmm-regexp-concat when trying to get regexp APIs.

Do they need rx, as just one example?

I think that’s a different question.
(FWIW, I consider that rx shouldn’t appear.)
Whether or not the searcher wants to know about rx or not,
it’s probably true that one doesn’t want gmm-regexp-concat.