Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 23:13:57 +0100

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 10:53 PM Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> > As you may know, in Common Lisp, a close
> > cousin to Elisp (though I think not _directly_ related),
> > there are packages [that organize namespaces].
>
> +1.
>
> But the CL package system is complex.  And RMS
> has in the past nixed such a thing for Elisp.

I remember that.  Yes, packages exist for a whole
lot more than just saving on typing. And newbies
trip on them over and over again, it's true.  But once
you get them, they're really good and they end up
solving lots of problems regarding encapsulation.

Maybe some reduced version of packages could
be invented, some file-local thing that configures the
READing of that file only. I remember some proposal
back then, right?

João