Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 11:17:38 -0400

>> > Is that the only problem? then let's speed it up, and Bob's our uncle.
>>
>> When I say "slow" I measure the time in number of hand movements.
>> I'm in the middle of writing code, I might have already written `str`
>> even and now I'd have to do `C-u C-h a str mul RET` and that will only
>> display the answer, I still have to find it in the list and then arrange
>> for it to make its way to my buffer.
>>
>> Compared to `-mul TAB`, I can't see any way the `C-h` route could be
>> even remotely competitive.
>
> You seem to be measuring only the "speed" of your typing the input,
> and disregard the time required to look over the results of the
> completion or doc search and decide which is the one you want.

The examples I give are not hypothetical and I know those functions
very well.  I just have trouble remembering which permutation is used.
So there's no "look over the result" or "doc search" needed.  I don't
even need to bring up *Completions* at all.

> Maybe you should use and hack Emacs more ;-)
> Years of using Emacs with its superb documentation and elaborate

The documentation satisfies a different need.  This discussion is not
about replacing the manual with something else.

        Stefan