RE: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 10:31:49 -0700 (PDT)

> I don't know how to solve this contradiction, but if we want our
> completion to be a better tool, we should do something about these
> conflicting goals.

Exactly.  Completion is many things, with many uses.
In one use case you want to see all such functions;
in another case you don't.

For code completion, you are mostly interested in
prefix completion (the prefix being the text just
before point).  For `C-h f' and other help commands
you might be interested in substring completion.

And so on.  There are many, many possibilities.

And then there's the question of whether it's only
a completion candidate as a name (string) or a
completion candidate as a key-value pair (e.g.
alist entry), where the value part can offer rich
info.  (Or a propertized string candidate.  Or a
symbol with plist data.  Or...)

And that's just completion.  When it comes to
doc/help, there are as many possibilities:
reference, API ref, guide, tutorial, video,...