Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 09:42:02 -0400

> Having separate Emacs processes that communicate with each other is best, I
> think.

It's the only option, as far as I'm concerned.  Sharing an Emacs process
with some other user simply doesn't work at all (as anyone who has tried
it will know, I think).

> As Yuri Khan pointed out, experienced users have customized their Emacsen in
> distinctive ways, such that having to edit inside someone else's Emacs setup
> would be annoying.

Back when I tried it, those issues didn't even have time to show up.
Instead we quickly bumped into issues with the "single keyboard mode",
and other similar "modal" problems.  Or the unexpected sharing of the
kill-ring, ...
It's just hopeless.

> Furthermore, there are privacy concerns with sharing an Emacs process.

Indeed, the first thing I did when someone tried `make-frame-on-display`
to display their Emacs session on my display (back when we tried out
this new feature), was `M-x shell`.

        Stefan