Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks? A: Auto

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks? A: Autocompletion
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 16:10:53 +0300

On 03.06.2020 15:50, Konstantin Kharlamov wrote:
On Wed, 2020-06-03 at 15:36 +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
On 03.06.2020 14:39, Konstantin Kharlamov wrote:
Lack of such simple but immensely useful feature is so
disappointing
that some years ago I was trying to migrate over to some other
editor.

What simple feature? Prediction? Is that like mind reading?

You misunderstand what I say. In technical terms "prediction" here
means "the timeout set to 0".

Timeout set to 0 means firing completion requests right after every user input. If completion is synchronous, that will of course lead to a slowdown (depending on how slow the backend is).

For asynchronous ones, it could be fine, if the backing process can handle requests at such frequency.

In general, the value of 0 seems wasteful to me, but it should work.

As far a multithreading goes, try some backend that uses an external
program (either of the LSP clients, or irony, rtags, etc). That's a
basic kind of concurrency already available in Emacs.

Just to make sure: and it not gonna lag if I set timeout to 0? If yes,
then great to know, maybe I fell behind recent developments, I should
try it then.

To be 100% sure, you should try it yourself (I don't do C/C++). Maybe someone else here can testify, though.