Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks? A: Auto

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks? A: Autocompletion
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 23:15:29 +0300

On Wed, 2020-06-03 at 07:49 -0700, Drew Adams wrote:
> > Lack of such simple but immensely useful feature
> > is so disappointing
>
> FWIW -
>
> Icicles lets you control what you call autocompletion,
> and what Icicles calls incremental completion, in a
> few ways.
>
> This page explains it:
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Icompletion#IncrementalCompletion
>
> Option `icicle-incremental-completion' is the main
> on/off control.

I don't know if I'm misreading it, but from what I read about
this mode, it seems to only provide completions for minibuffer
commands. Undoubtedly useful feature, and for this usecase I already
use ido-mode with fuzzy matches. But in my original text I was rather
referring to autocompletion when you write code/text, i.e. in buffers
different from the minibuffer.