Re: vertical fido-mode

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: vertical fido-mode
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 21:54:01 +0000 (UTC)

Yes, that's a good.idea.

But as I see the code in icomplete-vertical-mode; it relies in a hook (icomplete-vertical-minibuffer-setup) and an advice (icomplete-vertical-format-completions) which in principle we don't need with a very simple modification of icomplete-completions and icomplete-minibuffer-setup. If icomplete-completions produces the formated output it will be more efficient and clean than adding an advice or do a reformat.

There are also some customizable options that for a simple working vertical mode we shouldn't need (like icomplete-vertical-separator-alist or a face icomplete-vertical-separator) unless we want to add them now.

So in my opinion maybe we can provide the vertical mode in a simpler way just improving icomplete-completions and some other small changes here and there. WDYT?