Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs? WAS: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 16:41:16 +0300

On Sat, 2020-06-13 at 15:50 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru>
> > Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 14:59:21 +0300
> >
> >    Okay, so usually email-based projects recommend using git-send-
> > email. Recently I sent a patch like thisĀ¹ and got a complaint it
> > doesn't look like what git-format-patch would produce (is that
> > maybe a
> > hint maintainers are being strained too?). Huh, wrong way again?
>
> FTR: that wasn't a complaint, it was a gentle request for the future.
> Your patch was committed, before I sent that request, even though
> committing it required some extra manual work on my part.
>
> We recommend using git-format-patch because it makes applying the
> patch easier and less error prone.  It never occurred to me that a
> routine recommendation would be interpreted as a "complaint", let
> alone trigger a 950-word rant.

That "rant" is for a reason though? I love Emacs, and it hurts me to
see human resources are being spent in places that other projects
trivially avoid. If you multiply that effort by number of contributors
that made similar mistake and maintainers that wrote to them about it,
I think it would've resulted in time that could've been spent to do
something much more useful.