Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs? WAS: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 18:08:09 +0300

> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 17:02:33 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>
> Cc: hi-angel@yandex.ru, stefan@marxist.se, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> No, I didn't intend to attack you, I was just curious because I would
> have thought it should be easy for Emacs to take the email
> (git-format-patch format is a plain email, as is the mbox format) and
> pipe it straight into git am.

Of course, that's what I usually do.  But when the email has only a
patch, not a result of git-format-patch, I don't want to try, because
some irregularity of the format could fail the patch and/or the
following commit, and I would then need to recover, fix the patch or
apply it manually, etc.  So I use "git apply" in those cases instead.
Which needs a separate commit step, including specifying the right
author and date.

And the commit log message needs a manual fix in any case.