Re: git-send-email

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git-send-email
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 11:12:43 +0300

On June 15, 2020 9:59:59 AM GMT+03:00, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
wrote:
> On Jun 15 2020, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > We accept and welcome patches in any form and shape.  However, we
> > recommend to use "git format-patch" (see CONTRIBUTE),
>
> Which is exactly what he did.

No, he did not.  He said that much: he used "git send-email".

You are hinting that "git send-email" runs format-patch internally, for some
variants of its command-line arguments.  But that is not what CONTRIBUTE says
about using "git send-email", and for a good reason: doing it the CONTRIBUTE
way produces email messages that are easily recognizable as being fit for "git
am", and don't require tedious and error-prone manual analysis to make sure it
is not just diffs pasted into the email body.

We can discuss changes to CONTRIBUTE, but as long as it says something, let's
try to act as it says.  We usually have good reasons for what it says.