Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs? WAS: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 17:35:41 +0300

On 13.06.2020 14:59, Konstantin Kharlamov wrote:
no other projects require
writing down a list of functions I changed just for the fun of it

As a reviewer, there's something to be said about having an overview of the whole diff (which can get long) in a few paragraphs on top of the patch. A good commit message like that actually makes a lot of things clear in advance.

But yes, that also compensates for otherwise more difficult review process, compared to some automated tools other projects use.

Okay, you want this — but could you at least automate it!
And no, some Emacs function does not cut it, people not necessarily use
git from Emacs. I
personally don't. Please, use git hoooks, because this is what everyone
is*forced*  to use, you can't possibly miss a git hook.

Someday(tm) we'll migrate to Gitlab, or Gogs, or whatever, and we'll have that.

Regarding hooks, we do use them to an extent, but nobody has written a checker for commit messages for them yet. And that still wouldn't cover people who make patches against released/packaged versions of Emacs, as opposed to the Git tree.

The rest of your email, I pretty much agree with. Except, you know, it's still quite possible to contribute (pointing to self).