Re: git-send-email

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: git-send-email
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 12:17:53 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Mmm, now that you mention it, I'm confused.  Here's what we say in
>> CONTRIBUTE:
>>
>> > To email a patch you can use a shell command like 'git format-patch -1'
>> > to create a file, and then attach the file to your email.  This nicely
>> > packages the patch's commit message and changes.  To send just one
>> > such patch without additional remarks, you can use a command like
>> > 'git send-email --to=bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org 0001-DESCRIPTION.patch'.
>>
>> I just tried to git-send-email --to=myself a patch file generated from
>> git-format-patch, and the email I received looks just like what
>> Konstantin sent to the bug list, i.e.
>
> Then maybe we should remove that sentence.

(Re: 2020-06-20T08:42:41Z!eliz@gnu.org)

Thank you for following up on this.  I'm pretty sure just removing the
sentence about git send-email wouldn't have been enough, as I expect
some people could read "use a shell command like 'git format-patch -1'"
and think "oh well, git send-email will work just as well then".

I think your amendments make things a lot clearer.

FWIW, I just fooled around with rmail and mboxes from Debbugs; adding

- "\|^x-mailer: git-send-email" to rmail-nonignored-headers
- "\|^x-mailer:" to rmail-highlighted-headers

makes it slightly easier to spot patches sent by git send-email AFAICT.
Of course, I'm not an rmail guru; there probably are better ways to
solve the recognizability problem.