Re: Eglot and Tramp

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Eglot and Tramp
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 18:36:02 +0100

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 6:30 PM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi João,
>
> > I practice, what kind of remotely adverse impact do you
> > expect from installing 2.4.4?  Is it a very large download? Does
> > the compilation take very long? Something else?
>
> I don't expect any adverse impact. It's just the "principle of least
> surprise". Personally, I dislike software which installs something else
> w/o any need.

Actually, I agree.  I personally use the latest Emacs 28 to avoid these
kinds of package.el woes (and to keep developing on the packages
themselves).

> But you're right, likely nobody will complain in practice. So pls ignore
> my mumbling :-)

You're at least a "data point" in my decision. I want that users at least
have the option of running Eglot remotely over Tramp on Emacs 27.1.
There are options for that.

1. The package-requires way.  Seems to be "the future";
2. You bring that bugfix to Emacs 27;
3. I dont' do anything, wait for bug reports and tell people to install a newer
Tramp;
4. I put in an automated check in eglot.el that does the same as 3.

João