Re: Eglot and Tramp

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Eglot and Tramp
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:45:22 +0100

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 5:39 PM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi João,
>
> > Of course, we do take something similar in consideration regarding
> > the _loading_ of X.  For that, we have just-in-time "autoloads".  But
> > we don't have just-in-time "autoinstalls" yet.
>
> That's exactly my point. We have no mean to say in eglot.el "if you use
> Tramp, please ensure that you have at least Tramp 2.4.4. Otherwise,
> autoinstall it from GNU ELPA."

But it's the same with Flymake, or Project or Xref or any other feature
that Eglot uses. Thought those features are slightly more essential
to Eglot's central promise (though not completely).

But actually, we do.  I mean, Eglot could check Tramp's version at
run-time and give exactly that warning you suggest.  But my
question is: what benefit would that produce?

I practice, what kind of remotely adverse impact do you
expect from installing 2.4.4?  Is it a very large download? Does
the compilation take very long? Something else?