Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 13:30:57 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> One might interpret your request essentially as "I want any buffer,
>> arbitrarily, based on my current intention, be associated with the
>> current project". It's probably not as arbitrary, so you're welcome to
>> suggest an alternative indicator.
>
> I already suggested one: let the user specify that with special
> commands, and have other commands do that automatically where we know
> the user will want that with very high probability.
>
> Doing this means we need some indicator other than default-directory.
> A buffer-local variable, perhaps, or membership in some data
> structure, like a list of buffers associated with a project.  Or
> anything else, really, that can support better, more accurate
> decisions.  There are many alternatives; my point is that basing this
> on default-directory is not the best strategy.

What if grep, xref, etc. "singleton" buffers get created per project,
either automatically by detecting that they are called from within a
project, or by providing project.el wrappers for their respective
commands?  Then they could be switched to based on default-directory
alone, right?  Would that fly at all?

--
Basil