Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 01:24:15 +0300

>>     And one such kind is an ad-hoc collection of files and buffers,
>>     where only the user knows which ones he/she is interested in and which
>>     ones he/she isn't.  Every IDE I saw supports something like that, so
>>     we should do that as well, IMO.
>>
>> I'm curious about those "every IDE".  I don't recall such a feature
>> in ones I tried.  Perhaps I just didn't use it, of course.
>
> Few examples below:
>
>   Code::Blocks:
>
> https://www.cs.odu.edu/~zeil/FAQs/Public/newIDEProject/index.html#creating-a-project-from-existing-code
>
>   Visual Studio:
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/creating-solutions-and-projects?view=vs-2019
>   Look under "Create a project from existing code files", "Add files
>   to a solution", "Create empty solutions"
>
>   QNX:
>   https://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.4.1/ide_en/user_guide/tutorials.html
>
>   Netbeans:
>
> https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/cnd/quickstart.html#_adding_existing_files_to_your_project
>
>   TI's Code Composer:
>
> http://software-dl.ti.com/ccs/esd/documents/users_guide/ccs_project-management.html#adding-or-linking-source-files-to-project

Such point-and-click wizards are more of a hassle than a help.
If someone doesn't want to specify files to *exclude* in .gitignore,
then in Emacs a better thing to do would be to support a special file
.project with the same syntax as .gitignore but specifying what files
to *include* in the project.  Should such file also support specifying
buffer names, I'm not sure.