Re: ediff merge wrapper

From: Eliza Velasquez
Subject: Re: ediff merge wrapper
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 10:44:05 -0800

I replied with more details about how it works, but it seems I
accidentally sent them in a private email to Stefan. Sorry about that,
I'm not quite used to mailing lists. I'll copy what I wrote here.

Google's ediff_merge tool is invoked like:

ediff_merge /path/to/base_file /path/to/ancestor /path/to/file-a
/path/to/file-b /path/to/output-file

This command blocks until the merge operation is complete, i.e. when
the user quits ediff.

Upon further investigation of its source code, it seems that the need
for this tool may be obsoleted if this bug were to be fixed instead:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25547. Most of the
purpose of this tool seems to be a workaround for this behavior, and
it could probably be replaced with a call to `emacsclient -c -e
'(ediff-merge-with-ancestor "$a" "$b" "$ancestor" nil "$output")'` if
it were fixed.

Stefan and I had some additional discussion on the bug thread.