RE: tabulated-list-mode needs incremental search option

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: tabulated-list-mode needs incremental search option
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 12:50:13 -0800 (PST)

> > In general I am advising that every application with choices offers
> > among others the narrowing incremental search.
>
> The term "incremental search" is too ambiguous to use here.  You had a
> better alternative below: "incremental matching" or "incremental narrowing".
> And "incremental completion" would be too specific to icomplete.el.
>
> > What hapens when using ivy-mode is that modeline jumps up-down when
> > completing.
>
> The modeline doesn't jump up-down when a list of completions
> is displayed in the pop-up buffer *Completions*.

+1 to all that Juri said here.

I believe that Jean is talking about some kind of dynamic,
incremental filtering.  Vanilla Emacs has such a thing for
incremental search (which is maybe what inspired Jean's use
of that term) and for Ido and Icomplete.  In none of those
cases does the filtering affect/use *Completions*.

And I think that what Jean is maybe talking about is
something general, which could be applied in multiple
contexts - completion, but not just completion.