RE: on helm substantial differences

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: on helm substantial differences
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 08:03:47 -0800 (PST)

> > the `annotation-function` is much too limited.  I don't
> > think "in addition" is right tho: the new functionality
> > should aim to replace the current `annotation-function`.
>
> Then maybe to differentiate one from another: when the string
> returned from `annotation-function` has text properties then
> use it to display a complete candidate, otherwise append it
> as an annotation - for backward compatibility.

That would be extremely limiting.  It would mean you
couldn't use text properties other than to mean that.

I already gave reasons against the general "replacement"
idea.  But this more restrictive idea is especially not
good.  If some such thing were introduced it should be
based on a particular (new) text property, not just the
presence of any text properties.