Re: on helm substantial differences

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: on helm substantial differences
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 12:36:11 -0500

>> Agreed: the `annotation-function` is much too limited.
>> I don't think "in addition" is right tho: the new functionality should
>> aim to replace the current `annotation-function`.
> Then maybe to differentiate one from another: when the string
> returned from `annotation-function` has text properties then
> use it to display a complete candidate, otherwise append it
> as an annotation - for backward compatibility.

That's a possibility, yes.  Tho we could also use another
property and deprecate the `annotation-function`.

Before knowing what's the best approach, I think we should clearly
decide what would be the "ideal" new API.  E.g. should it return "any
string" and then it'd be up to the infrastructure code to store
side-info about what is the corresponding candidate's actual text?
Or should it instead return a string with additional text-properties
explaining which parts are annotations and which part is the actual
candidate's text?  Or should it return a list of strings? ...

        Stefan