Re: HG, git and others actualize the modeline when commit form the comma

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: HG, git and others actualize the modeline when commit form the command line
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 22:00:56 +0200

Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 20:43:54 +0200

You are well advised not to use auto-revert-mode in VCS repositories.

Why not?

Because a VCS repository triggers the poorly-scalable behavior of file
notifications.  We watch directories, and in a repository some
directories see a lot of file activity unrelated to the files you
actually visit.

I can see how that can happen (even though it never caused a big enough problem for me personally), but AFAIK all modern editors provide some sort of counterpart to auto-revert-mode (updating the contents of files when they are edited externally). And of course that also works in VCS repositories, which is the normal case these days.

So if it's problematic in Emacs, I think it should be on the priority list of bugs to fix.

Worst case, we can switch over from filenotify to simple polling in those cases.