Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add complet

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add completions-highlight-mode initial implementation.
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 22:23:47 +0200

> With the current implementation this is not supposed to change. Of
> course there is space for improvement and there are bugs, but so far,
> all navigation still works in *Completions* buffer as usual because I
> just added some commands. If there is anything that breaks the normal
> previous behavior somehow, please tell me; because I put special
> attention to prevent that.

Sorry, I was not clear enough: I meant that the new feature doesn't
allow in the minibuffer using the same navigation keys that are
already available in the *Completions* buffer, e.g. <PgDown> and <PgUp>
typed in the *Completions* buffer scroll it up and down.

For example, while in the minibuffer type 'TAB' that displays a very
long list of completions, then type 'C-M-v', and see how it scrolls the
*Completions* buffer.  Better yet try typing <M-PgDown> and <M-PgUp>
in the minibuffer, and see how it scrolls the *Completions* buffer
up and down.  I meant that a new feature could allow such page scrolling
without the 'M-' modifier, by just using <PgDown> and <PgUp> in the minibuffer
(and C-v/M-v as well) to scroll the *Completions* buffer.

> We could add a custom to disable the new bindings in the *Completions*
> if you think is better; because IMO the most important thing is to
> "navigate" with arrows the completions from the minibuffer without
> leaving it; and the overlay.

Maybe a custom could provide some DWIM behavior by default,
e.g. to activate these keys only when the *Completions* buffer
is displayed.