Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add complet

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add completions-highlight-mode initial implementation.
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 22:56:54 -0500

>>> How can I make that emacs find the file automatically? It needs to be
>>> added in cus-<something>.el right?
>>What do you mean by "find the file automatically"?
> Now I have to load the file with -l to be allowed to use the command.

Oh, then you want to put a `;;;###autoload` cookie just above the entry
point(s).

> 3) If completion-cycle-threshold is a number then candidates are shown,
> but when start cycling, the <tab> order is independent from the one in
> *Completions* (this behavior IMO is even worst). Also, there is not
> feedback between the current candidate and the visible completions list.

Yes, that's the case I find similar.  The differences I can see are:
- In your code you get to see the other candidates (with
  `completion-cycle-threshold` the *Completions* is not necessarily
  shown).
- In your code, you get to see your selection highlighted in *Completions*.
- In your code, you have to hit TAB an extra time, whereas with
  `completion-cycle-threshold` you start cycling as soon as there are
  few enough candidates.
- In your code the threshold depends on the size of *Completions* (and
  the size of the completions themselves?) rather than being a fixed limit.
- The order of completions is different.

I think it might be a good idea to try and bring those two closer to
each other.  E.g. when cycling, make sure the *Completions* buffer, if
shown, displays the choices in the order in which they are cycled, and
highlight the chosen one.

I think the key [pun unintended] difference between the two is the extra
TAB which lets you interpret it as a request to enter a special mode
with special bindings to move between the different
displayed candidates.

        Stefan