Re: Is this "save practice" (setting default font scale)?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is this "save practice" (setting default font scale)?
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 17:14:51 +0200

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 15:51:04 +0100
>
> Furthre investigation discovered a giant list of faces in Emacs:
> face-new-frame-alist. Setting corresponding value in face vector for
> 'default seems to achieve exactly same, but without measurable
> difference at startup:
>
> (aset (cdr (assoc 'default face-new-frame-defaults)) 4 160)
>
> So my question is, is this safe to do, any pitfals I am not aware of
> (more then me poking into internals which may change in future)?

The pitfall is that the change in the default face will not be
propagated to other faces that depend on 'default' (inherit from him
and don't specify their own size explicitly).

By "startup" do you mean a one-time occurrence, or do you see this
slowdown each time you create a new frame via emacslient?  If the
latter, you could make this face change only once, the first time
Emacs creates its first frame.