Re: [ELPA] New package: slime-volleyball

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: slime-volleyball
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 20:41:07 -0500

>> I have a local branch where I've replayed the history of that repository
>> into packages/slime-volleyball on the elpa.git master branch.
>
> Sounds like you're grafting your slime-volleyball as a :subtree in the
> master branch of elpa.git.  Better make it an external, that's the
> preferred way nowadays.

OK.  I was thinking of developing it the same was as Excorporate, as a
"non-external", not using subtrees or anything, just in-line commits
with the elpa.git master branch.  But it looks like elpa.git-as-upstream
externals are possible (see below), in which case I can use that
approach instead.

>> I've received a few small patches to the code; they're all fewer than 15
>> lines, so I think it's fine in terms of copyright assignment.
>
> Sounds good.  IIUC you already have write access, so you can add it
> yourself, but if you need help, let me know,

I want to use elpa.git as the upstream of slime-volleyball.  Is that
what a "nil" external is, e.g.:

 ("dismal"              :external nil)

If so, I'll add a comment in externals-list to that effect.

Thanks,
Thomas