Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 18:48:09 +0100

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 08:18:12PM +0300, Jean Louis wrote:
> * tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> [2020-11-22 19:24]:

> > except when it doesn't :)
>
> You know that all better, thank you.

Not sure, really.

> I do remember being able to compile webkit in Emacs by compiling Emacs
> itself, but it did not work as expected and I removed it.
>
> $ locate stdlib.h
> /usr/include/stdlib.h

That seems a good place for it, yes. The compiler will
find that there.

> but webkit-module.c inside of emacs-webkit git directory does not have
> stdlib.h, there is nowhere in other files included. And I included
> also string.h that was missing.
>
> $ head webkit-module.c
> #define _POSIX_SOURCE 1
>
> #include <gtk/gtk.h>
> #include <webkit2/webkit2.h>
> #include <stdbool.h>
> #include <signal.h>
> #include <assert.h>
> #include <errno.h>
>
> I think it should be included there and I have included those missind
> but then I got these other errors. Maybe my webkit is outdated for
> this one. I cannot install new webkit on this system.

Definitely. But then it's the module's author's turn to chime in.
Obviously it works for him/her, so we must be missing something
important.

> webkit-module.c: In function ‘webkit_get_uri’:
> webkit-module.c:147:26: warning: implicit declaration of function
> ‘webkit_uri_for_display’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>        const gchar *uri = webkit_uri_for_display (webkit_web_view_get_uri

Yep. Perhaps your hunch is correct, and you have a different version
of webkit2.h than the author has. Perhaps the author's even includes
<stdlib.h> and friends?

Cheers
-- t