Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 09:46:41 +0100

> I can confirm this behavior.

Which OS?

> It does not happen with Emacs 23 to 25, and happens with Emacs 26 to 28.

That's interesting.  I'll have to take a look.

> Except that:
>
> "Now in the minibuffer window type C-h f and..." is (in my case at least) "Select
the miniwindow frame, type C-h f, and..."

> I did not see the "sometimes the normal frame is selected, sometimes
> the minibuffer frame remains selected", in my case at least the
> miniwindow frame remains selected in all cases.  Which means that I
> need to click in the *Help* buffer before typing "q".

Same here, usually.  But I managed a few times to have the normal frame
selected.  In that case, as I mentioned, I quickly saw the cursor
flicker in the minibuffer window before it showed up on the normal
frame.  Also, instead of using the mouse, C-x 5 o followed by C-x o
works too, but C-x o used directly in the minibuffer window does not
work.

> "Here the minibuffer window gets selected and ready to receive input
> but no cursor is shown in it." is (in my case at least) "The
> minibuffer gets selected and ready to receive input but no cursor is
> shown in it AND the miniwindow frame is not raised (put above the main
> frame by the window manager)".

One can use

(setq minibuffer-auto-raise t)

If I do that, then typing something into the minibuffer window in the
state where no cursor is seen, automatically switches to the normal
frame.

martin