Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 22:22:07 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 20:22:42 +0100
>> Cc: tom@logand.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> To my knowledge, mpv is probably the neetiest one to bring in media
>> playing capabilities; it has lots of codecs, is written to be embedded,
>> is free and would make Emacs be able to play music and video files
>> without external players. Adding multimedia capabilities opens up for
>> lots of flexibility and creativity; people can maybe do interesting
>> stuff with it. I would certainly like Emacs to become a multimedia
>> player, I play my music with Emacs already :-).
>>
>> If other people think it is too expensive in terms of implementation
>> cost and what it offers, and if multimedia is not desirable in Emacs, I
>> can have understanding with that. I might not agree, but my opinion is
>> just one persons opinion, and I am not even an Emacs developer, so of
>> course, you who make Emacs work probably know better and have precedence
>> in what Emacs should do/have or not. It would be wrong to claim anything
>> else :).
>
> Expensive or not, talking about mpv as providing video playing
> facilities for Emacs is makes little sense as long as the issue of
> embedding video in a window that shows an Emacs buffer is not
> resolved.  As the xwidgets experiment suggests, the problem to solve
> here is not a trivial one.
Indeed; I am aware of it, and I personally am not even sure it is
possible with Emacs renderer as it is. If you read one of my first
replay's to Lars, I pretty much hoped he understands Emacs better then I
so he could do it, because I honestly, am not sure I can, I tried before
and couldn't figure it out. :)

I am playing with it, but I am not that knowledgable about
internals. Playing video on Emacs frame is not that hard; it is just
basic X11/GDI/whatever platform we are talking about. I can just attach
opengl context and send OS window to mpv, with some thinkgering. But
playing video in an image container, as images are put as faces on
characters, is not something I currently know how and could be able to
get going.

> Until someone comes up with some clever
> idea for how to do that, let alone submits patches for that, the issue
> of which library to use is not really relevant to Emacs development.
>
> If someone wants a flexible way of playing video under Emacs control,
> I think a more practically useful way at this time is to provide a
> feature that runs VLC or a similar player program as an Emacs
> subprocess, and controls that player via Emacs commands.  That could
> need extending the players themselves, if their command-line arguments
> aren't flexible enough and there's no other API that Emacs could use.
If you mean, just as external application in it's own frame, then Emms
already does it (I think).