Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 14:22:37 -0700

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 01:07 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

To my knowledge, mpv is probably the neetiest one to bring in media playing capabilities; it has lots of codecs, is written to be embedded, is free and would make Emacs be able to play music and video files without external players. Adding multimedia capabilities opens up for lots of flexibility and creativity; people can maybe do interesting stuff with it. I would certainly like Emacs to become a multimedia
player,

The question is what benefit is there to having it linked in as
a library as opposed to accessing similar functionality via
a sub-process.

I don't think this necessarily has to be a question of Emacs links against yet another library, or someone wraps a program's command line arguments. As I'm hoping to show with `emacs-webkit`, it's viable to think about using dynamic modules which link against a library and provide the desired functionality. Then those who never want that functionality never have to worry about their Emacs being linked with it, while the lisp package providing the functionality is free to use the best interface to that library, which I often think will be through linking to it. Linking often provides better performance and less complexity as you avoid needing to constantly define a data exchange format and parse it.

I once saw someone arguing why "the Emacs way" was far superior "the unix way" mainly because unix insists on everything being thought of as just files and text, which while powerful, ends up with every program defining different, incompatible text interfaces and parsing formats. Case in point being how messy command line argument formats can be since there's no standard format imposed on the way a program should handle flags. Meanwhile with Emacs everything is a Sexpr, which along with being easier to manipulate, offers just enough structure to greatly reduce these kind of incompatibilities between programs trying to communicate with eachother.