Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 10:04:54 +0100

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 08:50:24AM +0100, Arthur Miller wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> libmpv is just a library to play media files, has nothing to do with
>> javascript. You can check yourself:
>
> Until some idiot embeds javascript into some video format spec
> and said spec becomes indispensable because That New Platform,
> say, Squitch, makes it mandatory (and cheaper videocams follow
> that lead, or something).
>
> Then either libmpv follows or we users begin to whine and moan.
>
> You laugh?
Of course! :D You always make me laugh, you know that! :-)

> See how PDF embedded javascript.
Just for the record didn't that happened long before v8 came and google
made js lingua franca of web dev?

If I remember even MS implemented window host that was ment for scripting
windows (along VB). I never used it though, no idea how extensive it
was, but it was also before the Node and before JS become ubiquitious in
every application, and before applications were "apps" ... :-)

> Yes, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but at the same time watching
> with a mixture of fascination and horror how this arena around
> freedom has changed radically the last 20 years.

> Not long ago the "enemy" was secret sauce and closed interfaces.
> These days it's more like cripplingly complex systems and user
> convenience.
( ... )

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen