Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 14:26:31 +0100

> Akira Kyle <akira@akirakyle.com> writes:
>
>> Essentially it opens a dedicated window for displaying webkit which
>> can be controlled through the keybindings in the emacs buffer
>> corresponding to that webkit view (of course one needs to have running
>> a running graphical session pointed to in $DISPLAY).
>
> This is great news -- the demo looks awesome.
>
> Just a couple of comments (without having actually tried it or even
> looked at the code):
>
> One thing I hoped to do with the in-tree xwidget code was to use it in
> eww to display media types Emacs doesn't support -- primarily .mp4
> <video> elements (and youtube videos, for those who doesn't find that
> abhorrent).  I poked at it for a bit, but the current code is very much
> tied to the xwidgets mode owning the buffer, and I haven't yet had the
> stamina to fix that.

The original design of xwidget were supposed to work like inserting
images in a buffer, so they werent originally supposed to own the buffer
or anything. It was possible to have several xwidgets in a buffer and so
on.

Maybe thats changed, I haven't been able to follow the development
recently.

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se