Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 13:26:57 -0700

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 12:35 PM, T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:

What I really want is to be able to manipulate the DOM from the Emacs side, specifically with the goal of extracting higher-level structured information from the DOM, > On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 11:29 AM, T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:

Ah, there's currently the ability to manipulate the DOM by injecting JS and sending results back to Emacs as JSON. As far as representing and manipulating the DOM directly in elisp, I personally don't see that as being in scope for this project, however I'm not opposed if others want to explore that. Someone asked a similar question on the github repo: "Any plans to integrate parenscript or similar?" My response:

Not really. I personally think trying to work with parenscript for only running javascript just makes things needlessly complicated since you still need to know the whole DOM api to do anything interesting. Perhaps there's a compelling enough argument to make a parenscript equivalent in elisp, but for now I'm sticking with using JSON to communicated between JS and elisp.

I think nyxt is doing a good job with this and would refer people interested in a lispy DOM to their project: https://github.com/atlas-engineer/nyxt