Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 10:39:42 +0100

Akira Kyle <akira@akirakyle.com> writes:

> Essentially it opens a dedicated window for displaying webkit which
> can be controlled through the keybindings in the emacs buffer
> corresponding to that webkit view (of course one needs to have running
> a running graphical session pointed to in $DISPLAY).

This is great news -- the demo looks awesome.

Just a couple of comments (without having actually tried it or even
looked at the code):

One thing I hoped to do with the in-tree xwidget code was to use it in
eww to display media types Emacs doesn't support -- primarily .mp4
<video> elements (and youtube videos, for those who doesn't find that
abhorrent).  I poked at it for a bit, but the current code is very much
tied to the xwidgets mode owning the buffer, and I haven't yet had the
stamina to fix that.

Is this easier with your package?  That is, the ability to plop in an
arbitrary number of widgets into any buffer?

The other thing I'm wondering about is the (pure) reliance of Cairo (if
I understood you correctly).  It seems like Cairo development is slowing
down as many projects have started using Skia instead.  Emacs supports a
number of graphics backends for a reason -- they pop up, last a few
years, and then they die off, and there's no reason to believe that
Cairo is going to be the One True Toolkit.  Toolkits come and go; Emacs
is forever.  :-)