Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add complet

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add completions-highlight-mode initial implementation.
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 11:14:47 +0200

> Could you try it now please?

Thanks, now this feature is getting into good shape, and it seems soon
your branch will be ready for merging.

> I am wondering that with this new behavior it is a bit more like zsh but
> diverges a bit too much from the current default emacs completion, so
> making this default will be virtually impossible. And my real objective
> was to improve the default completion; not make a new one.

Don't hold out too much hope on enabling this feature by default.
Even in zsh this completion style is not enabled by default,
only adding "zstyle ':completion:*' menu select" enables it.

Also in Emacs even less intrusive icomplete-mode is not enabled
by default.

For example, currently when the completions buffer is displayed,
C-r is still available for searching through the previous history.
But when this new mode is enabled, it's more useful to allow C-r
to search in the completions buffer, that works well with your
latest commit.

IOW, the main difference of this feature is that typing TAB
enables a special mode for selecting a completion, and disables
history navigation and motion keys in the minibuffer.

> IMO we may reconsider if we should go in the direction of commit
> 60a1003aee or in the one of c7c47e78e6.

Yes, these are two diverging roads.  So we need to try both, identify
their advantages/disadvantages to decide what path/patch to follow.

With c7c47e78e6, all present motion keys are still available in the
completions buffer, but are all keys that used to exit still handled?

Also setting buffer-local cursor-in-echo-area to t in the completions
buffer provides a better look and feel of editing in the minibuffer
(like you disabled mode-line).