Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add complet

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add completions-highlight-mode initial implementation.
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 12:46:20 +0100

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 11:14:47AM +0200, Juri Linkov wrote:
Could you try it now please?

IMO icomplete (and ido/ivy/helm/etc) are more invasive than this mode
(as I conceived it initially at least) because they diverged much more
from the *Completions* way to do and the <tab> philosophy. I would
actually prefer to remove features from this one if there is a chance to
add some of these improvements to the default completion system (after
the expected war of course). Maybe making it less "zsh-ich" and just
improving a bit the Completions interaction may be possible??

In case you really think that nothing of this may become default then I
prefer to add this code as a package to elpa instead; to not overload
the base code with potentially useless/unknown modes that nobody will
find useful/discover (once a user is capable to configure their init.el
they will go for icomplete/ido/fido/ivy/helm instead of this).

I think very few old users use the default completions system these days
and it gives a terrible first impression to new comers and make emacs
feel too "vintage".

That's what I want to improve. If the changes we do are conservative
enough (maybe just like the first version I proposed: add tabs, arrows
interaction and highlight after an extra tab) It may not bother old
users while the new will find the more interactive behavior after the
extra tab very handy.

Also setting buffer-local cursor-in-echo-area to t in the completions
buffer provides a better look and feel of editing in the minibuffer
(like you disabled mode-line).

Ahh I forgot to mention.

In gui interface cursor-in-echo-area works fine (setting the cursor in
the "right" position) but in -nw the cursor is set at the end of the
line and leaves an extra space.

I am not sure if this is an issue or a feature IMO it is an issue
because behavior must be the same either in tui or gui.

I even considered to set an overlay but maybe this is something must be
properly fixed (if it is an issue of course)

Best,
Ergus