Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add complet

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add completions-highlight-mode initial implementation.
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 22:44:24 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-11-23 22:13]:
> > Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 17:13:54 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
> >  Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>, Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> >
> > TAB philosophy is for line based completions. Anything else need not
> > use TAB.
>
> And yet Bash completion uses TABs, but displays multi-line completion
> lists.  And so does GDB (actually, Readline).
>
> So I don't agree with your philosophical assessment.

No need to agree. Let me express me better:

When I write words to select from a list of candidates in helm, I can
write anything like for the file sat_media I can write: at me

I am not referring to how completion shows its candidates but that by
using TAB the line is being expanded to completion. TAB completion
cannot be expanded by writing anything by common implementations. Some
new implementation could do that too, it is just not common or
non-existent.

To expand the file sat_media what is common is to start typing begin
of the file in Bash like saTAB to get sat_media.

But I cannot write mediaTAB to get sat_media, so TAB expands lines.

That it displays multiline completion lists is fine and good, but it
will not search by parts of the words like non-TAB completions. Though
it could.

Helm does not expand by TAB, it expands by anything, if I write
~/tmp/at me I would get ~/tmp/sat_media so it is not line based
completion (line is not expanded) it is visual choice completion and
the select key does not matter much, one could select TAB as well in
that case.

Emacs enhances line based completion that one can use at least joker
*, so I could write *atTAB to get maybe sat_media.

But I cannot write ~/tmp/*at m to get ~/tmp/sat_media though
implementation could be quite different and it could be possible.