Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 15:59:31 +0100

> Akira Kyle <akira@akirakyle.com> writes:
>
>> Essentially it opens a dedicated window for displaying webkit which
>> can be controlled through the keybindings in the emacs buffer
>> corresponding to that webkit view (of course one needs to have running
>> a running graphical session pointed to in $DISPLAY).
>
> This is great news -- the demo looks awesome.
>
> Just a couple of comments (without having actually tried it or even
> looked at the code):
>
> One thing I hoped to do with the in-tree xwidget code was to use it in
> eww to display media types Emacs doesn't support -- primarily .mp4
> <video> elements (and youtube videos, for those who doesn't find that
> abhorrent).
Just a curious question: have you ever looked at libmpv?
Would it be possible to embedd video via livmpv in an image container
just as jpg, png etc?

libmpv is a C library for mpv player ment to be embedded, and works in
all 3 major desktop platforms.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv-examples/tree/master/libmpv

Mpv itself comes with crap-load of video codecs and image formats already
built-in; it is a fork mplayer2. What is good, if one could create a
OpenGL context for an Emacs window (X11/Win32 Window - shouldn't be
hard), you could controll rendering directly, since they don't take over
your even loop:

"You will have to simulate this with the mouse/keypress/keydown/keyup commands."

It would probably fit into Emacs well.

I don't know myself how to implement "new image format" for Emacs; too
much to look through the spaghetty of if-defs in image.c,