Re: [ELPA] New package: valign.el

From: Alexander Adolf
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: valign.el
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:02:31 +0100

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> [...]
> *One:*
>
> A few days back I was tinkering with the ``Gnus Summary Line Format''
> and I was thinking if it is possible to align the lines containing
> non-english multi-byte characters with the other lines containing ASCII
> names.
>
> Value of my `gnus-summary-line-format' is
>
> "%4P %U%R%z %-16&user-date; %(%[%4L(%4k):%*%-23,23f%]%) %B%s
>
> I have reserved 23 characters for name but it misaligns when there are
> multi-byte characters in it.
> [...]

:+1: Same issue here with notmuch-search. But it seems unlikely that this
package will solve our issue, since the docs talk about aligning stuff
in tables only.

To do what this package offers, you will need to do "edge detection" on
the surrounding material in order to know which parts of the surrounding
text to stretch. This seems somewhat feasible in tables, because the
"edges" are readily marked up, and equally where "surrounding material"
ends.