Re: Mouse-hovering over 'mouse-face' overlays/regions on a TTY Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Mouse-hovering over 'mouse-face' overlays/regions on a TTY Emacs
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:25:37 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I'm not sure.  Is this Emacs 28? if not, try the master code, as
> xt-mouse got several improvements lately.

It is master.

> If you are already using a recent master branch, maybe this is
> something else xt-mouse should learn to support?  Jared, can you chime
> in, please?

In the meantime, I've been doing some printf debugging with xdisp.c and
found that hovering over the text does call note_mouse_highlight() and
mouse_face_from_buffer_pos() in xdisp.c.  Per the docstring of
display--update-for-mouse-movement, both mouse-face and help-echo seem
to be reasonably independent from the remaining mouse-tracking stuff.

note_mouse_highlight() seems to be the entry point for this, and it
seems to be mostly doing its job provided I enter xterm-mouse-mode.  So
I would dare say that the problem is not in xt-mouse.el.

To recap, help-echo works fine, but mouse-face is somehow missing (on
TTY only).

Thanks,
João