Re: Org schemas we talked to be non-free, was: [ELPA] New package: repol

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Org schemas we talked to be non-free, was: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 21:10:21 +0100

> Modifications of a schema produce a file that can no longer be used
> with the same collection of documents and protocols.  So such
> modifications are not useful.  I very much hope that we as a movement
> will not insist on abstract "freedom" to make useless modifications
> just for the sake of modifications.  To me, Free Software movement is
> a pragmatic movement that picks up its fights wisely, and this
> particular fight isn't, it's a Quixotic fight for a useless goal.

Of the files included with Emacs, maybe the the Unicode data files are
the ones that resemble the purpose of the schemas most closely. As they
are also part of a standard, modifying them (e.g., put "A" at a position
other than 0x41) wouldn't make much sense either.

Nevertheless, they are distributed under a license [1] that allows
"to deal in the Data Files or Software without restriction, including
without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
distribute, and/or sell copies".

[1] https://www.unicode.org/license.html