Re: Org schemas we talked to be non-free, was: [ELPA] New package: repol

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Org schemas we talked to be non-free, was: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 22:21:02 +0200

> From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
> Cc: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>,  rms@gnu.org,  ulm@gentoo.org,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org,  ams@gnu.org,  arthur.miller@live.com,
>   dgutov@yandex.ru
> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 21:10:21 +0100
>
> Of the files included with Emacs, maybe the the Unicode data files are
> the ones that resemble the purpose of the schemas most closely. As they
> are also part of a standard, modifying them (e.g., put "A" at a position
> other than 0x41) wouldn't make much sense either.
>
> Nevertheless, they are distributed under a license [1] that allows
> "to deal in the Data Files or Software without restriction, including
> without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
> distribute, and/or sell copies".

But we did nothing to have that license, it's how the Unicode
Consortium distributes the UCD files.  So I don't see how this is
relevant to the issue at hand -- unless you'd like to propose that we
approach the Unicode Consortium asking them whether they would like to
replace their license with a non-free one...