Re: Gnus using lexical-binding

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gnus using lexical-binding
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 14:40:00 -0500

> I'm now seeing a bug with `gnus-article-browse-html-article' that might
> (?) be a result of this, I'm not sure.

It's triggered by the recent change, indeed.
It's due to a longer standing bug, tho.
The problem is in these two chunks of code in `gnus-art.el`:

                 (let ((gnus-visible-headers
                        (or (get 'gnus-visible-headers 'standard-value)
                            gnus-visible-headers)))
                   (article-hide-headers))

and

    (let ((gnus-visible-headers (or (get 'gnus-visible-headers 'standard-value)
                                    gnus-visible-headers))
          (gnus-mime-display-attachment-buttons-in-header nil)
          ;; As we insert a <hr>, there's no need for the body boundary.
          (gnus-treat-body-boundary nil))
      (gnus-summary-show-article)))

I'm not completely sure why this code looks up the `standard-value`, but
the `standard-value` property is supposed to contain a cons cell whose
car is an *expression* that needs to be evaluated to get the variable's
intended standard value.

So it will never be nil and using it as a value is just wrong.

I installed a patch into `master` which should hopefully fix
the problem.

        Stefan