Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 12:44:51 -0700

Hello,

On Mon 01 Feb 2021 at 07:21PM +02, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> I would really like to have "C-x o o o o" feature to cycle through
>> frame's windows. I think one cycling direction is enough because frames
>> don't usually have large number of windows. On the other hand even "C-x
>> o o" is much nicer than "C-x o C-x o".
>
> Repeating the last character is the most convenient way to repeat the command,
> indeed.  No other key combination would be equally easy to type.  For example,
> when there is a need to navigate next-error locations with 'M-g n M-g n ...'
> changing the modifier key in 'M-g n C-=' won't do it better than just
> 'M-g n n n ...'
>
> But since typing a self-inserting key is ambiguous, and sometimes requires
> typing another key to break the key sequence to insert the character,
> this means that such feature should be optional.
>
> In this case it's easy to implement it as a minor mode that uses hooks,
> e.g. last-char-repeatable-mode added to repeat.el.
>
> This could be like delete-selection-mode that by default
> puts a special property on symbols of affected commands.

I think this is the best way to implement this.  People who don't want
to accept getting into transient states where not every self-insert key
is self-inserting can turn the mode off entirely (and maybe bind 'repeat
to C-z or something, which is what I do), and people who haven't had
problems with that can turn it on once and have it work all over.

--
Sean Whitton