Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 12:26:24 +0000

On a side note, I don't understand the "At garbage collection time" in the doc string of "undo-outer-limit":

Outer limit on size of undo information for one command. At garbage collection time, if the current command has produced more than this much undo information, it discards the info and displays a warning. This is a last-ditch limit to prevent memory overflow.

It seems to me that this happens when the command is executed, not "at garbage collection time".

That discarding of the undo info happens in a function that compacts buffers and truncates their undo lists. That function is called from GC. If you see the message when the command is executed, it simply means that GC is called immediately after the command or even while the command still runs.

You are correct. But with the default Emacs values, "gc-cons-threshold" is 800000 and "undo-outer-limit" is 24000000, GC will happen immediately.