Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 09:49:15 +0000

It would perhaps make sense to ask for confirmation _before_ executing the command ("The command '...' will discard undo info, really do it? (yes or no)").

Makes sense to me.

Or... if it could offer to to keep the undo info, even if it's over the current general limit, that would be even nicer, perhaps?

I don't have strong feelings about this. Perhaps offering to keep the undo info after the command has been executed would be nicer indeed. But not executing the command before a confirmation is perhaps less risky. It seems to me that if you see such a question before the command is executed, the question will have all your attention, because what you wanted did not happen yet. If you see it after the command is executed, the risk of answering "no" without really thinking about it is higher.

On a side note, I don't understand the "At garbage collection time" in the doc string of "undo-outer-limit":

Outer limit on size of undo information for one command.
At garbage collection time, if the current command has produced more than this much undo information, it discards the info and displays a warning. This is a last-ditch limit to prevent memory overflow.

It seems to me that this happens when the command is executed, not "at garbage collection time".