Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 18:41:39 -0600

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

>>> In a recent commit I see that the C-x g binding was taken for
>>> revert-buffer.
>>
>> I see another disadvantage in that binding: revert-buffer is a drastic
>> operation, so we should not make it easier.  I think it is wiser not to
>> put it on a key -- which is why I never did.

FWIW, I think this is the correct idea here.

In particular, I think `C-x g' is an unfortunate keybinding, as it is
too easy to make a drastic mistake.  If we need to have a keybinding, I
like the idea of something like `C-x M-u' more.

> It's true that it is a drastic operation, but it asks for confirmation,
> and it can be undone.

AFAIK, that depends on the size of your changes and the value of
`undo-limit', `undo-strong-limit' and `undo-outer-limit'.

> An additional security measure would be to disable it by default: (put
> 'revert-buffer 'disabled t).

I think making it easy to type only to make it harder to use would be
both contradictory and self-defeating.