Re: prettify-symbols-mode to handle "\alpha-\beta" ...

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: prettify-symbols-mode to handle "\alpha-\beta" ...
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 21:34:48 +0100

> Sent: Friday, February 05, 2021 at 6:23 AM
> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "Óscar Fuentes" <ofv@wanadoo.es>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: prettify-symbols-mode to handle "\alpha-\beta" ...
>
> > The way I see it, is that the improvement should be put in
> > prog-mode.el,
>
> What is "the" improvement you're referring to?
>
> > and then the other major modes can rely on prog-mode.el fon a minor
> > mode that implements the prettify functionality.
>
> I think that's the case already, thanks to `prettify-symbols-mode`.
> I'm not saying it can't be improved, of course,

It is good for separate languages.  But texinfo
and org are quite special cases, because they allow
one to use syntax from other languages.  From what
I have seen, prettify is not aware of how mathematical
expressions in texinfo could be constructed.  The way
mathematical expressions are written differ from simply
focusing on a keyword as is done for programming language
keywords.